Pages

Tuesday 3 February 2015

In My Garden

One of my goals for this year is to get a few more wicking beds in our garden. last year we built three only two of them are being used at the moment the other one needs to be filled with soil which I am hoping to do at the beginning of Autumn.
 I am super glad that we went ahead with this type of above ground wicking bed, a few years back we dug one in the ground and it was super hard work. This has been much simpler and will be much easier to deal with in the future when we need to renew the straw at the bottom of the bed. 
 The wicking beds have be so fantastic for holding there water and so far I haven't needed to be worried about the beds drying out quickly even with the heat. There have been times when we haven't had to water them for two or three weeks, although this has be a mild summer here in South Australia.
 We don't have a lot growing, I've only filled about 50% of the beds that I have now but we have had the beginnings of some harvesting which is always really nice. I managed to pop in some zucchini, cucumber, pumpkin, tomato, radish, rhubarb, onions and Blake happened to plant some corn seeds in one of the beds and they have started to produce corn, which is exciting.
 We have also had the first fruit off of one of our fruit trees some lovely plums, there were only about 10 after the birds got to some of them but the ones we had were really delicious and a nice preview of things to come!
Its always so so nice to bring in something from the garden and cook it up or eat it fresh, its one of the best feelings :-)

1 comment:

  1. how lovely fresh vegetables that's something I would love to do but I find it hard to get down into my backyard down the stairs.also what are wicking beds-love dee x

    ReplyDelete